Next Thursday, 31st October many will celebrate Halloween (us included!). In addition to the masks and clothes, the house decorations, desserts cannot be left out! In the spirit of this spooky season, today we are sharing this terrifying hemp seed cookies recipe that might bring you a sweet but healthy Halloween 🎃🍪
PREP TIME: 20 mins
TOTAL TIME: 20 mins
1 egg (or no egg)
170 gr. chocolate chips
100 gr. butter or pure vegetable margarine
100 gr. hemp seeds
200 gr. cane sugar
½ tsp soda
¼ tsp salt
3 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp flour
1. Mix sugar and melted butter in one bowl until it turns light
2. Add egg and vanilla extract and beat well
3. In a separate bowl, put a tablespoon of flour, salt, soda, and hemp seeds. Mix thoroughly
4. Add the content of the first bowl to the second and add the chocolate chips.
5. Mix thoroughly
6. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
7. Use your hand to form flat cookies of any spooky shape you desire using the mixture and spread on a baking sheet
8. Put the baking sheet with cookies into the preheated oven
9. Bake for 5 minutes on each side
This is a simple but creative recipe that you can prepare in a very short time and with very few ingredients. If you try this recipe, let us know! We wish you a happy Halloween!🎃👻
PREP TIME: 10 mins
TOTAL TIME: 10 mins
YIELD: 16 brownies
350 gr. оf ѕоft ріttеd dаtеѕ
140 gr. оf hеmр ѕееdѕ
110 gr. of rаw wаlnutѕ
35 gr. оf rаw сасао powder (саn ѕubѕtіtutе rеgulаr cocoa роwdеr)
1/2 tѕр оf ѕеа ѕаlt (optional, fоr flаvоr еnhаnсеmеnt)
1. Add all іngrеdіеntѕ tо a fооd processor аnd mix until іt forms a dоugh.
2. Prеѕѕ thе dоugh into a ѕԛuаrе bаkіng pan lіnеd with раrсhmеnt or wax paper.
3. Place іn thе frееzеr for a соuрlе hоurѕ tо fіrm.
4. Lіft out оf thе pan аnd сut into 16 ѕԛuаrеѕ.
5. Stоrе in the fridge оr freezer.
Sounds yummy? Why not give it a try?
And until tomorrow (Friday, 25th October) enjoy a buy 1 hemp seeds and get 1 hemp protein powder for FREE! On the check-out just add and pay for 1 hemp seeds, we will add after your free hemp protein with your order.
PREP TIME: 10 mins
TOTAL TIME: 10 mins
YIELD: 14 Bars
150 gr. оf rаw almonds
350 gr. оf lіghtlу packed ѕоft pitted dates
1 tbѕр оf сіnnаmоn
70 gr. оf рlаіn hemp protein powder
2 tbsp оf mарlе syrup
120 gr. оf аlmоnd butter (оr nut/ѕееd buttеr of сhоісе)
1. Fіrѕt рlасе the nuts in a processor аnd mіx untіl broken dоwn. It’ѕ okay іf there are still ѕоmе large ріесеѕ.
2. Add іn thе dаtеѕ and continue to mіx, ѕtорріng tо press down аѕ nееdеd.
3. Add in the rest оf thе іngrеdіеntѕ and рrосеѕѕ until it fоrmѕ a thісk dоugh.
4. Remove аnd рrеѕѕ іntо a small ѕԛuаrе bаkіng pan lined wіth wax оr раrсhmеnt paper.
5. Plасе іn the frееzеr for 60 mіnutеѕ or the frіdgе fоr a fеw hоurѕ.
6. Remove аnd cut іntо 14 bars.
7. Store іn the frіdgе іn аn аіr-tіght container fоr uр tо 1 wееk or the freezer for uр tо 3 mоnthѕ.
And voilá! Enjoy your delicious and healthy hemp protein bars!
And only until Friday (25th October) buy 1 hemp protein powder and get 1 for FREE! On the check-out just add and pay for 1 hemp protein, we will add after your free hemp protein with your order.
1. The use of hemp fiber for fabric production is nothing new! Super-resistant, its texture is similar to that of linen, and the fiber can be combined with other materials - such as cotton and silk, for example. And yes, right here in Latvia you can get hemp wool blankets from Terra Cannabis.
2. Hemp contains antioxidants, omega 3 and 6 and essential fatty acids, and its seeds are rich in protein, iron, and calcium. It works as a nutritious food supplement, and its oil can be used in the preparation of endless recipes. You can find many hemp food products in our online shop.
3. Hemp for thermal and acoustic insulation of houses and buildings sounds good? A lighter, stronger and environmentally friendly alternative for your home. Hemp shives are available in Latvia through Hemp Time.
4. The use of hemp oil by the cosmetics industry has been around for a long time, and there are numerous product lines - with shampoos, soaps, body and face moisturizers, sun and lip balms, anti-aging creams and so on. In Latvia, you can also get hemp cosmetic products (among others) from Smelly Viking.
5. Last but not least, there is a growing interest in CBD oil for "its potential role in easing symptoms of many common health issues, including anxiety, depression, acne, and heart disease" (read more here). In Latvia, you can also order your CBD oil from Gwee Products.
Did you already know about these products? Do you know any other products made with hemp and available here in Latvia? Be sure to tell us in the comments!
We have been away from our blog for some time but now we are back with this post about our favorite drink - hemp tea! We can introduce hemp tea as one of the healthiest herbal beverages in the world. Hemp tea is made with dried hemp flowers and leaves however several parts of the hemp plant can be used as well such as seeds, and stems. It is a caffeine-free drink with a high amount of nutrients, antioxidants, and vitamins. Also present are cannabinoids (CBD). Although cannabinoids are not water-soluble, it is recommended to add a few spoons of oil or milk which helps to dissolve cannabinoids and maximize its health benefits. (You can check here if CBD is legal in your country)
And, now let's go through the steps on how you can make hemp tea at home!
1. Add a teaspoon of hemp tea
2. Add a half spoon of coconut oil or any other fat as per your preference
3. Pour some hot water to the cup
4. Brew it for at least 5 minutes until you get the desired strength
5. Remove the leaves using a strainer
6. Can add sugar or lemon according to the preference. If not can taste it without adding
anything. And voilá! Enjoy everything that hemp tea has to offer!
Btw, in this video from our friends at Harmony you can see the preparation process step by step.
We believe hemp tea offers many health benefits and that's why we love it! If you are looking to get your own hemp tea you can get it here.
We would like to thank you for following our blog and hope to see you on our next blog post.
The event was meant to start at 11:00 however, we were only able to set up everything around 11:30. But visitors were very patient :) At the door, there was team Obelisk: Gabriela, Fredis, and Alice that were welcoming all visitors.
More than 8 companies join us and present their wonderful hemp products to the public.
In the hemp museum, many speakers had the chance to deliver a speech in front of an awesome audience! Check out this video of one of these talks.
Visitors of the hemp market also had the opportunity to vote for the best hemp company, best products, and best service. Congratulations to Lapka Hemp, Smelly Viking and ''Zariņi''.
A great event with amazing people! Showing the true power of Cannaboration :)
If you want to continue updated on the events we have here at the farm, follow us on Instagram!
01.05.2019 - Hemp museum opening
Entrance is free of charge.
01.05.2019 - Hemp foods workshop
If you would like to take part in this workshop, you can book your place here
06.07.2019 - Hemp market
You can get your tickets here
27-28.07.2019 - Hemp building course
Limited places available, so hurry up! Book your place today
We are only officially open for tours, workshops, tastings, and courses from 1st of May but you can already book your experience with us. To avoid any disappointment we would like to invite you to book your visit in advance.
Big hug from Obelisk Farm Family 🖤
We have been contacted and visited by many families that wish to move to the countryside and find a way to replenish the incomes of their families. Just like us, they believe in the endless possibilities of the hemp plant and seem convinced about the huge potential of hemp cultivation. Their most common question is: can hemp help us? As a family that has been growing hemp for the past 3 years, we can say that being a family farm especially in a remote area is not easy. Mainly, because of the significant limitations such as basic infrastructures, financing and more. However, the opportunities derived from hemp are endless. And we believe that there are several ways in which hemp can help save a family farm.
- Without the issues of legality getting in the way, the local communities and the economy can flourish. Hemp has the potential to put power back into the hands of the people and help us to create a sustainable life for everyone. Moreover, cultivating hemp as a cash crop will help reshape our lives and build a self-sufficient, sustainable way of life for our families.
- Hemp can help farmers and farm business helping us earn a comfortable living. There are lots of financial toll on farmers and some also suffer from mental health and depression. These often arise from the increase of production cost, drought and falling prices of commodities and also factors beyond our control.
- Although hemp responds better to a well-drained, loamy soil with a pH (acidity) above 6.0 and a neutral to slightly alkaline (pH 7.0 – 7.5) is preferred, hemp can thrive in most environments. If you would like to know more about the biggest obstacles when growing hemp, you should check this article from the Modern Farmer. Additionally, hemp can grow without the use of pesticides or herbicides.
- Food, clothing, housing, the basic necessities to live, hemp can provide this and more... cosmetics, fuel, paint, glue, plastic, paper and other applications. The use of hemp can make your life and your family live more ecological and sustainable.
If this is a topic you are researching, we can recommend the following book and videos:
"How cannabis farming allows family farms in California to feed their community". The story of a family growing hemp and producing products for themselves and their community.
"Cannabis and Family Agriculture" (Sorry, Portuguese language only.) This is an interview with the professor at the Center for Advanced Multidisciplinary Studies at UnB, the agronomist João Luis Homem.
As an effort to educate individuals and boost the general public awareness about hemp the theme of the poster is: Grow hemp! We are looking for creative, critical thought and inspiring posters that can address the following topics:
- Legality of the cannabis plant
- Uses and benefits of hemp.
The call is open to artists of any age, nationality, and discipline.
All participant's posters will be displayed at the Hemp School gallery and participants will receive a hemp gift from Obelisk Farm.
- All Obelisk Farm hemp products
- A free tour and tasting, a hemp paper workshop, and a place in the hemp building course 2019.
- The poster must be original work
- All submissions must be sent electronically via our email: firstname.lastname@example.org and should include the artist name, a short biography (max. 100 words), the title of the poster and a short description of the poster (max. 100 words)
- Accepted formats: pdf, jpeg, png and no larger than 100 megabytes
- The design and design rights become the property of Obelisk Farm
- The posters will not be used for commercial purposes
- The winning design will be announced on 1st May during the Hemp museum opening.
The deadline for submitting your poster is 20th April 2019.
#1 - Hemp hand cream by The Body Shop
#2 - Hemp soap by Herbs&Hydro
#3 - Hemp seed oil by Hempus
#4 - Hemp chocolate (white, black, milk) by Hempoint
#5 - Hemp beer by CanaPuglia
#6 - Hemp sneakers by Bohempia
#7 - Hemp scarf by Hoodlamb
#8 - Hemp backpack by Samparka
#9 - Hemp notebook by Canapacruda
#10 - Hempcrete magnet by Obelisk Farm
What makes a perfect Valentine's day gift?
We think that a present for any special occasion should be creative, useful and emotional. Above all, it should be a gift that can melt the heart of your love without contributing to the melting of the Arctic glaciers. Nothing better than choosing a gift that is made by one of the most environmentally friendly plants in the world - HEMP!
What is hempcrete?
Hempcrete is a natural building material made with hurds (the inner woody core of hemp) and mixed with lime. The hurds works well as a building material because they are lightweight and at the same time sturdy, offering excellent thermal regulation and moisture control. Using hempcrete in construction is not a new idea, although it has recently been rediscovered and its use is spreading all over the world.
How is hempcrete used?
Hemp concrete is an efficient, non-toxic, mold-resistant material used as thermal insulation to make floors, ceilings, and walls. It is very common for hempcrete to be combined with other materials. The system is simple: You choose two fixed pillars (of wood, masonry or another type of structure). Then these two points are connected by two plywood, one on each side, leaving a gap between them. This empty space is then filled with the mixture. Soon the compensated ones are removed exposing the ready wall!
Being a naturally breathable material, hempcrete is also often used to make floors or insulation on roofs.
What are the benefits of hempcrete?
Hempcrete has many advantages over conventional building materials. Here are some of its many benefits:
Resistant to pests
Excellent moisture control
Learn more about hempcrete
Hempcrete offers versatility and sustainability. You can learn here at the farm how to build with hemp, join us on 27-28th July for our hemp building course.
The University on their end will develop all the lab tests necessary for this product be approved for human consumption. We all want to make sure hemp straws do not rot or get mold. They also gave us a great idea which is to develop hemp sticks for sushi! This sounds awesome! Making a hemp straw that can be converted in chopsticks is such an amazing idea!
We will keep you updated on the progress of these products. Fingers crossed 🤞
1. Our Hemp bars received the award for the best plant-based product in Riga Food 2018. It was people's vote so this gives us a lot of happiness and motivation to keep going! Our award will give us the chance to travel to Germany in January and take part in the Green Week 2019! We will keep you posted!
2. Because of Hemp, we have traveled this year to Austria, Lithuania, Poland, Germany, Netherlands, and Belgium.
3. We have participated in 3 of the most amazing and interesting hemp events of Hemp in Europe, namely: 8th International Hemp Building Symposium, Hemp2020: Entrepreneurship & Investing and the International Cannabis Policy Conference.
4. This year we have been visited by over 1000 people that took part in tours, tastings, workshops, and courses at the farm. Next year we will only be open on the weekends, so if you want to guarantee your activity at the farm, you should book with us in advance.
5. We have successfully delivered another Hemp Building Course at the farm. This year we had Kerth from HempToday joining us. Next year the Hemp Building Course is already available for booking, take advantage of the early bird price! Come and learn how to build with Hemp in Latvia!
6. We have reached a total amount of 550 euros from online and offline donations for our Hemp Museum. If you would like to support us, our crowdfunding campaign is still ON!
7. We have developed over 8 different hemp products and we hope next year we will be producing way more! Check out our online shop to see what we have done so far.
8. Last but not least, after 10 years together we decided to finally get married this year! We enjoyed being surrounded by our closest friends and family ❤
What an amazing year we had! We truly hope you will continue to follow us in this great adventure we call life and perhaps we will meet at Obelisk Farm in 2019! Visit us!
All in all, this was our most successful story! Even though this was not fully our experience, we all win with this case. As the police also mentioned, there are more and more farmers growing hemp and the way the police acts should not cause anyone harm. Additionally, hemp is part of the Latvian history and culture and Ms. Dzidra case brought to light issues related with cannabis policy that was long overdue.
We are now setting-up our Hemp Museum, which will be dedicated to cannabis in Latvia and also to the different uses of cannabis. If you would like to support us creating this museum, you can donate here. Every act counts, it doesn't matter how big or small your donation is, it will help us achieve our dream!
See below why you should attend the International Cannabis Policy Conference (ICPC) 2018
According to the ICPC: "from 5-7th December
You want to hear about with top research, industry and policy leaders". The event will also present "contribution of cannabis & industrial hemp markets and products innovations relevant to the achievements of the 2030 UN
3) +15 Exhibitors
4) Get your certificate
By participating in the event you will earn a valuable certification. According to ICPC, all participants will be able to obtain a certificate of attendance from the Registration Desk.
Source and photo credit: http://conference.faaat.net/
Next in line, is our hemp peanut butter. Yummy, is so delicious. And we want to share this deliciousness with you. Soon this product will be available in our online shop. So far, visitors were able to taste and buy this product on the farm. We were a bit afraid of shipping the hemp peanut butter. But after many tests and also our road trip, we are now 99.9% sure that the quality of the product remains the same even when it has to travel long distances. So, we are very happy to add this tasty and healthy hemp peanut butter in our online shop.
And yes! Yes! The hemp snack that got Andris the prize of "Best plant-based product" in Riga Food a few months ago will also be in our online shop. Our hemp bar was carefully made by Andris, after months of experiments until he found the perfect recipe. The hemp bar contains hemp seeds, oat, and sugar. It is an excellent source of protein and it will certainly give you that extra energy boost. It goes super well with a cup of our hemp tea.
Finally, we are now designing something very special for you. We can't say much about it, but we can give you some clues. These new products are made with 100% hemp fiber and they are being created for children but there will be also something for the grown-ups. We are working very hard to make in time for Christmas, so fingers crossed! In the meantime, if you find that some of our products would be a great present for your family, friends, colleagues, staff or partners, and you wish to order from us (quantities above 50) do get in touch. We can provide you with a list and prices of our products.
New ideas mean new products as well. These days we have been busy creating and recreating our hemp products. It's a process that has back and forwards moments but we truly excited about the final results. We have been meeting people also interested in helping us throughout this process. This week, we meet Inga from ॐ junjala that took from photos of our products. Since our friend David came to visit us and try our new products we began a journey of discovery. Here are some of the moments we shared together:
We expect exciting and busy times ahead. But the most important is the special journey we are in.
How did you come up with your business idea?
My girlfriend and my partner.
How important is Hemp to the project?
Who is your primary audience - and who is the more unexpected one?
People interested in making better choices about food and drinking.
What is the greatest difficulty you feel about Margaça BioStore?
And your biggest achievement?
Sell CBD to prohibitionists.
What are the upcoming challenges or plans to develop Margaça BioStore?
Provide doctor appointments at our store and fight misinformation.
What tips can you give us and to anyone starting and/ or wanting to develop their own Hemp business?
Be resilient as hell!
📌 "On the Hemp Farm with" is a monthly edition whose aim is to introduce hemp businesses/brands/products/entrepreneurs. Would you like to participate? Send usan email to email@example.com
Photo credit: Carlos Gavina
- Presents in its composition omega 3 and, therefore, help you to take advantage of the benefits offered by this nutrient;
- Due to the richness of proteins, it is an excellent source to supplement the diet;
- Vegan and vegetarian diets can be greatly benefited by the use of hemp protein because of their richness;
- Fatty acids are very important for the maintenance of the skin. Therefore, nothing better than making use of Hemp protein powder;
- The hemp seed is considered an excellent source for obtaining vegetable protein.
Here at home, we use hemp protein in many of our favorite dishes. One of them is the perfect Autumn recipe - Hemp protein powder pancakes. So, we'll share this super easy to make recipe!
- 2 cup of hemp milk ( we used hemp milk but you can use whatever you like: cow milk, almond milk, coconut milk
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 cup of hemp protein powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
Mix all the ingredients until a homogeneous consistency is obtained. Place a portion of the dough in a circular shape in a pre-heated, non-stick frying pan. Cover with a lid. When the dough begins to make "bubbles" turn and leave a few seconds, and repeat until the dough looks ready. These amounts give for approximately 4-5 medium-sized pancakes.
We stuffed our pancakes with a homemade raspberry and apple compote made by ourselves and a couple of hand-picked raspberries from our garden.
We hope you try and enjoy it!
1. You will learn something new
In our hemp farm, we offer different educational activities for all ages, adults and kids alike! Whether is learning about hemp by taking a tour, tasting delicious and healthy hemp products or taking in part in our workshops, at the end you will definitely know something about hemp that you didn't know when you arrive. The wide variety of activities available on the farm can help stimulate your appetite for learning about hemp uses and benefits.
2. You will support a family farm
When you visit our farm, you not only learn about hemp you will be also supporting our family farm. Without the support from visitors and friends, we would not be able to continue the work we have been carrying out for the past 3 years. We hope that by providing the best products we can at reasonable prices you will find the importance of contributing to preserving the health of our agriculture, environment, and local food system.
3. You will reconnect with nature
All in all, we are spending way too much time in front of screens. On the way to work or school, in the car, on the bus, before eating and before going to sleep, the screen presence is stronger than ever. Taking some time to come to our farm, will help you get out and into the wild and green fields all over the farm. Many studies have shown that the exposure to screens is associated with increased fatigue and depression. While studies on outdoor have shown that it improves mental health and decreases feelings of stress and anxiety. Read more about it here
Overall, we believe that a big part of our visitors have a great pleasure visiting our farm because they get to know us, chat with us, walk throw the hemp fields and they learn a lot about this plant. We believe that our enthusiasm for hemp is contagious and this feeling is spreading among the visitors. We know of many people who after visiting us they started growing hemp. This gives us a great joy! If you feel this is the right time to come to our farm, you are welcome to pay us a visit! We are now only open during the weekends and as always you need to book your activitiy beforehand.
Halloween hemp seed cookies
26 Oct, 2019
Raw hemp seed brownies
24 Oct, 2019
Nо-bаkе hеmр prоtеіn bars
23 Oct, 2019
5 products made from hemp that you can get in Latvia
21 Oct, 2019
How to make your own hemp tea
2 Oct, 2019
Everything you want to know about the hemp market 2019
8 Jul, 2019
What's happening on the farm?
3 Apr, 2019