1. What is hemp? Hemp, industrial hemp, also known as Cannabis Sativa L. is a plant. From the hemp plant, all parts can be processed: the seeds, leaves, flowers, stalks, and roots can be used to make many products, for example, food, animal feed, cosmetics, paper, building materials, textiles, and bioplastics.
2. Is hemp the same as marijuana? No, but we understand the confusion. Industrial hemp and Marijuana are both varieties of the cannabis plant - hemp is Cannabis Sativa whereas marijuana is Cannabis Indica. They are not only genetically distinct, but they also have different cultivation methods. While marijuana contains high %s of the psychoactive substance called Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), industrial hemp contains virtually none, usually below 0.3%. The cultivation of industrial hemp in Latvia is regulated by Zemkopības Ministrija (Ministry of Agriculture of Latvia).
3. Does consuming hemp will make me "high"? No. Hemp contains minimal amounts of THC (the compound that produces psychoactive effects in humans) and therefore does not exhibit sedative or narcotic properties.
4. What does hemp taste like? People have described it as having a nutty (hemp seeds, hemp hearts, hemp protein), grassy (hemp juice, hemp tea), earthy (hemp seed oil, hemp seeds), and bitter (hemp tea) taste.
5. Does hemp require pesticide or herbicide use? No. Hemp can be grown without the use of agricultural chemicals since almost all hemp varieties are naturally resistant to insect pests and predators.
6. What is hemp's environmental impact? Research estimate that for every ton of hemp grown, 1.63 tons of carbon dioxide is removed from the atmosphere. Hemp's most amazing ability is its capacity to pull huge quantities of carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere. Besides being one of the fastest-growing plants in the world (growing in only 4 months) it can be used to make an extraordinary number of products. Many believe that replacing common products with hemp products will move us to a more sustainable world.
General farm FAQs
1. Where are you located? We're 2 hours and 45 minutes from Riga and 35 minutes from Rēzekne. The farm address is "Gulbji", Obeliškas, Dekšāres pagasts, Rēzeknes novads, LV-4614. Click here for directions to the farm.
2. What are your operating hours? Obelisk Farm is only open during the summer at specific times. During other seasons, the farm is closed.
3. What can I do at the farm? We offer tours, workshops, and special events during the summer season. Advanced booking is required for tours and workshops.
4. Can I walk around the farm without taking a tour? No, sorry. We ask you to only visit the farm after you book in advance a tour or a workshop.
5. Is the farm wheelchair/stroller accessible? Yes and no. There are access ramps to the hemp school, hemp museum, and hemp shop. But there are a couple of areas with a mixture of stone paths and grass that are not wheelchair/stroller accessible.
6. Do you allow dogs at the farm? Yes. But there are a couple of rules. All dogs must be on a leash. If your dog is not friendly with other animals and/or humans, please consider not bringing your dog or leaving your dog in the car Any aggressive or destructive dogs will be asked to leave.
7. Do you have a bathroom I can use? Yes, an outdoor toilet is available to all guests.
8. What type of payments do you take? We accept cash, credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express), and Paypal.
9. What is the parking situation? There is parking available at the farm for cars, buses, and campervans.
Visit the farm FAQs
1. Do you offer tours at the farm? Yes. To learn more about our tours click here.
2. Do I need to book a tour? Yes, it's essential to book your tour or workshop before visiting the farm.
3. How can I make a reservation? To book your tour or workshop please call or text Andris at +371 25123595 or contact us at obeliskfarm[@]gmail.com
4. How much does it cost? Tours - 5€/ per person (without hemp products degustation) 10€/ per person (with hemp products degustation) // Workshops - 25€ / per person (minimum participants 10).
5. How long does it last? The tour is one hour. If you choose to add degustation of hemp products add an extra 30 minutes.
6. Can I take photos? Yes, photos are allowed. And we encourage you to share them with us so whenever you post a photo remember to tag us!
7. How do I cancel/change a tour booking? Please call us at +371 25123595 or email obeliskfarm[@]gmail.com We ask for at least 24hrs notice.